Chicago Cubs vs Seattle Mariners – Series Preview (April 10-12): Overview, Game and Broadcast Info, Starting Pitchers, W2W4
The Cubs (4-4) won two out of three against a tough Texas Rangers squad this past weekend, with their two wins came thanks to terrific starting pitching efforts from Marcus Stroman and Justin Steele. Next up is another home series with a challenging American League West opponent, the Seattle Mariners.
The Mariners (4-6) finally made the playoffs in 2022 after a 21-year absence, eventually losing in the ALDS to the World Series champion Houston Astros. Seattle has a talented lineup led by superstar outfielder Julio Rodríguez, who won the AL Rookie of the Year last season.
The pitching rotation is anchored by former Cincinnati Reds ace Luis Castillo, who went to Seattle in a trade last year. One area of potential weakness for the M’s is in the bullpen, which has struggled early in 2023. Scott Servais‘s team has stumbled a bit out of the gate as a result, dropping series to Anaheim and Cleveland.
The Mariners are another step up in difficulty for the Cubs from the Rangers, but the home team will be able to hang around as long as they continue to get good starting pitching performances. Chicago is in the midst of a tough portion of their schedule against West Coast opponents, so getting through it with a decent record it will be a good sign that they can be competitive this season.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Monday, April 10 at 5:40pm CT on Marquee Sports Network.
- Tuesday, April 11 at 5:40pm CT on Marquee Sports Network.
- Wednesday, April 12 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee Sports Network.
What to Watch For
- Nico Hoerner and Dansby Swanson finally cooled off a little bit this weekend but both are still hitting over .300 for the season.
- Castillo has 16 career starts against the Cubs with a 7-5 record and a 3.68 ERA.
- Stroman has not allowed a run in 12 innings pitched so far in 2023.