Cubs vs Dodgers Series Preview (May 7-8): TV and Game Info, Starting Pitchers, Insights
The Chicago Cubs (9-15) have struggled mightily after a 6-4 start to 2022, losing 11 of their last 14 games as they tumble down the standings. Chicago’s pitching staff has had some issues, especially with several key injuries in the rotation. The bigger culprit, however, has been the offense, which has ground to a complete halt the last two weeks.
The absolute worst team for the Cubs right now is the best team in baseball, yet that’s exactly what they get when the Dodgers (16-7) come to Wrigley for three games starting with a Saturday doubleheader due to a rainout on Friday. Maybe the Cubs will surprise us.
Los Angeles added slugger Freddie Freeman to an already stacked lineup in 2022, that includes the likes of Mookie Betts, Justin Turner, Trea Turner, and Will Smith. Their hitters actually have gotten off to a relatively slow start this season, but it hasn’t mattered.
The Dodgers have gotten off to such a great start largely because their pitching has been unbelievable. Walker Buehler and Julio Urias have dazzled so far while Clayton Kershaw is dominating like he’s 24 again. Put it all together and LA’s 2.21 ERA is the best in baseball.
The Cubs are not going to have an easy time this weekend. They will have to increase their level of play significantly or things could get out of hand quickly.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Saturday (game 1), May 7 at 12:05pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Saturday (game 2), May 7 at 6:40pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Sunday, May 8 at 6:08pm CT on ESPN
What to Watch For
- Patrick Wisdom has his OPS up to .838 thanks to some much-needed extra-base power. We’ll see if that can continue against a stout Dodgers pitching staff.
- Seiya Suzuki has really been fighting it lately with just one hit in his last six games played (23 AB). This series would be a great time for him to bounce back.
- Stroman looked outstanding on his birthday in Milwaukee, going seven shutout innings. He’ll need to be as good or better on Sunday.