The Cubs (8-11) were able to surprise the Brewers (13-7) to start the season, taking two of three from the defending NL Central champions at Wrigley Field. The two teams have gone in opposite directions since that series, with the Brew Crew playing very well while Chicago has slumped. The two teams now meet in Wisconsin for three games starting Friday night.
Milwaukee is once again led by strong pitching, especially from starters Brandon Woodruff, Freddy Peralta, and Corbin Burnes, then closer Josh Hader. Hader has recorded a save in each of his first 11 appearances of 2022 as Craig Counsell‘s team continues to thrive in close games.
The Brewers offense, on the other hand, has been a complete flop so far. The team OPS sits at .614, one of the worst in major league baseball, and former MVP Christian Yelich continues to struggle mightily. Amazingly, Willy Adames is the only player on the roster with greater than a .700 OPS.
Unfortunately, the Cubs are just not a good team right now. The starting pitching has scuffled, putting pressure on a bullpen that has actually performed very well. Meanwhile, the hitters are grounding out at an astounding 50.3% as a team, by far the highest rate in baseball. That has led to an MLB-high 22 double plays that too often end rallies before they start.
Fingers crossed, the Cubs can repeat what they did to start the season and take this series. They are going to have to start playing better soon or they might be looking toward 2023 before the summer even begins.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, April 29 at 7:10pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Saturday, April 30 at 6:10pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Sunday, May 1 at 1:10pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
What to Watch For
- Ian Happ reached base five times against the Braves and hit a home run.
- Hendricks had his best outing of the year in his last start, going seven shutout innings against the Pirates.
- Keegan Thompson finally allowed a run against the Braves but was great again as he continues to pile up effective innings out of the bullpen.