The Cubs (2-1) opened the 2022 season on a promising note by winning two of three from the reigning division champion Milwaukee Brewers at Wrigley Field. While it was only three games, the more patient plate approach from Chicago hitters was noticeable. Now they head on the road for a quick two-game set with the lowly Pittsburgh Pirates.
The Pirates (1-2) have stripped almost every asset from their roster as they make an effort to completely tank yet again this season. One of the few impact players still remaining is Bryan Reynolds, the switch-hitting outfielder, who has emerged as one of the most dangerous young hitters in the league. They also inked young third baseman Ke’Bryan Hayes to an eight-year, $70 million deal that stands as the largest in team history.
Pittsburgh’s pitching is an absolute mess and it’s hard to find any real ace of the staff. On paper, this could be one of the worst teams in the last 30 years. It behooves the Cubs to take advantage of them if they want to contend for the playoffs.
Of course, that’s always easier said than done and the Pirates could have the Cubs’ number this year. Ironically, the results of this season series will likely tell more about Chicago’s fate than the matchups against Milwaukee. The questions of whether and how the Cubs can confound their meager expectations will start getting more answers at PNC Park.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Tuesday, April 12 at 3:12pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Wednesday, April 13 at 11:35am CT on Marquee Sports Network
What to Watch For
- Seiya Suzuki had a terrific debut series with the Cubs, collecting three hits, including a homer, and walking four times while driving in six runs.
- Ian Happ had five hits in just two games but missed Sunday after being drilled in the knee with a pitch.
- The Cubs have not faced their old friend Quintana since he was a member of the White Sox. Let’s just say a lot has happened to both sides in that time.
- The Pirates are starting Tuesday’s home opener at 4:12pm local time to honor Pittsburgh’s 412 area code.