Attending major sporting events has become a pretty expensive proposition, and that’s just considering the everyday contests. So with the 2018 World Cup in Russia right around the corner, the folks at SBO.net put together an infographic to illustrate just how expensive it can be for fans to be there for the action instead of just watching on TV.
Good news for anyone headed out to catch a little footy, though: World Cup tickets will probably cost you less than the flight to Mother Russia. The same can’t be said for some of the other events on this list. Below are a few notes on the research, followed by the graphic.
Note: Whoever bought that World Series ticket has more money than sense and should have just given me some cash instead.
- Despite being the most watched spectacle on Earth, the World Cup doesn’t even feature in the top 10 most expensive ticket prices in sports, coming in at number 12.
- The most expensive ticket in sports history was purchased in 2016 for the MLB World Series game between Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians at $1.17 million.
- The gap between the most expensive ticket and the second is almost tenfold.
- Out of the top 10 most expensive sporting tickets, only 2 events were held outside the USA: The 2013 Wimbledon final between Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic and the 2010 Men’s Hockey final at the Vancouver Olympics between Canada and America.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. featured twice in the top 5 expensive sporting events, for his bouts against Manny Pacquiao and UFC star, Conor Mcgregor.
- Conor McGregor and the UFC also feature in 9th position for the 2015 fight between the Irishman and Jose Alvarez.
- Ticket prices for the 2018 World Cup remain to be seen, but currently they are starting from $1,000 and upwards.