The Rundown—12/21/16: Cubs One of 20 Teams on Tyson Ross, Were ‘Mystery Team’ for Brad Ziegler
Here are the headlines from around the league and for the Cubs:
- Clay Buchholz was traded from the Red Sox to the Phillies yesterday for minor leaguer Josh Tobias.
- The Phillies are absorbing the entire $13.5M left on Buchholz’s contract, which frees up some money for the Red Sox to go after another hitter, which Dave Dombrowski claims is not going to happen.
- It is a good deal for the Phillies because if Buchholz is healthy and productive they could flip him at the deadline for a nice prospect haul.
- Buster Olney had an interesting little tidbit this morning, saying the Pirates have worked hard at making a trade for Jose Quintana.
- Olney makes the point that he would fit perfectly into the tight pocketbooks of the Pirates and I’m interested to see what they’d have to give up for a deal like this.
- The Pirates had 6 prospects in Baseball America’s Midseason Top 100 Prospect list, and I assume it would cost them a couple of those guys and a couple of lower guys, but it would be an interesting place for Quintana to land.
- The Yankees and Indians made a small trade yesterday as the Yanks sent Nick Goody to the Indians for a PTBNL or cash considerations.
- Goody is just 25 years old and didn’t have very good numbers last year (5.28 FIP, 2.2 HR/9, and 3.7 BB/9), but he is young, had success in the minor leagues (career 2.19 ERA, 13 Ks/9, 1.039 WHIP), and is under control till 2023.
- Okay, when you look at it that way, it makes you think he could have been a good(y) target for the Cubs, who are on the lookout for young pitching that can be optioned.
- The Cubs are one of somewhere around 20 teams in on free agent RHP Tyson Ross.
- The Cubs had Ross over for drinks this past weekend and are the only team that I can find that he visited. Recently, it was said that the Cubs were showing the most interest, but it appears that there are several others that are courting young Tyson Ross.
- Ross is recovering from thoracic outlet syndrome, but should be ready to by opening day.
- The Cubs have been trying to trade for Ross over the past 2 seasons, so their interest is legit; now it’s a question of whether he gets priced too high.
- In other interesting Cubs news, they were apparently the mystery team in the bidding for Brad Ziegler, who signed with the Marlins last weekend.
- It is unclear if the money got out of hand or if the Cubs were in it the entire time, but it’s noteworthy that they were willing to go after another semi-expensive bullpen target after what they have already done.
- I think it is clear that they are not finished yet.