I’m thoroughly convinced that Addison Russell can honestly do it all. Let me put that another way, I can’t think of anything he can’t do. An amazing, game-saving grab last night; a clutch, two-run single with two outs that put the Cubs in the lead tonight. That hit turned into the game-winner and the Chicago Cubs (86-47) cruise behind incredible bullpen play, 5-4 (Box Score).
Mike Montgomery got the start for the Cubs tonight and he wasn’t quite as effective as he’d been in his two previous starts. He threw 58 pitches through four innings and he had issues locating his pitches, which Joe Maddon recognized and got him out of there while the Cubs were still within striking distance.
The combination of Rob Zastryzny, Joe Smith and Carl Edwards, Jr. was completely overpowering after Montgomery was pulled. Just shut-down, no hit ball the rest of the way. And let me just say, Edwards looked scary in the closer role.
Stats that mattered
- Montgomery hung in there; he bent but didn’t break – 4.0IP, 4R, 3H, 3BB, 1K, HR
- The bullpen was just, well, the opposite of last night – 5.0IP, 0R, 0H, 5Ks
- Dexter Fowler was on point tonight, he played well – 2-for-4, 2R, 1BB, SB
- Kris Bryant? Of course. – 1-for-3, 1R, 1RBI, 1BB
- Addison, oh my oh my, Addison – 1-for-4, 2RBI
- Jason Heyward is starting to look very, very good offensively – 1-for-4, 1RBI
Um, ya know, this is really, really, really amazing. Watching this team, do this.
The Cubs will look to keep up the fun on Friday night as this series stretches out over the weekend. Game time is 1:20 PM CT and Jon Lester (14-4, 2.70 ERA) is scheduled to pitch.