Pirates Come to Town, Cubs Riled and Ready to Go – Series Preview: May 13-15, 2016
The Cubs will be looking to regain momentum this weekend against the Pirates, who they outscored 20-5 in the series last week in Pittsburgh. I’d say we should expect a much closer series the time around but the Pirates looked so completely dismayed when they played last that I’m not really sure what to expect. One thing is for sure, the Cubs will be ornery and itching to let things fly. This one will be fun.
Game times and broadcast info
- Friday, May 13 at 1:20 PM CDT on WGN, MLBN (out-of-market only)
- Saturday, May 14 at 1:20 PM CDT on ABC 7
- Sunday, May 15 at 1:20 PM CDT on CSN
What to watch for
- After being swept by the Cubs, the Pirates went to St. Louis and won 2-of-3 from the Cardinals. They most recently split a rain-shortened series with the Reds and now come to Wrigley to face a Cubs team that is looking to rebound from a disappointing series against the Padres.
- The Cubs starting pitching has been phenomenal and they’re starting their top three guys in this series. The same three pitchers that started against Pittsburgh last week and held the Pirates to two runs…the entire series. If the Pirates can’t figure out Hammel, Arrieta and Lester, it will undoubtedly be a very long series for them.
- Miguel Montero has been on rehab assignment at AAA Iowa and I would expect to see him back up with the Cubs sometime this weekend. If so, Tim Federowicz, who’s done a nice job catching in Miguel’s absence, will be sent back to Iowa.